Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ready to Rumble

I've now seen episode 1 ten thousand times, and it's ready to go public. There is a very scary moment before you go public with anything. But you have to pull the trigger some time.

The final edits were done last night, it's got a brand new tune by the World Famous Love Machine. He cooked up something special. I made this first episode the way I wanted to. It's three minutes long, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Shooting the second episode today, and it's got its own quirks to it.

You can say you're influenced by Bertolucci, but in the end, you're not Bertolucci. I've seen Bertolucci's films, and I love them, and no doubt they've been an influence (I like to use mirrors in certain shots) but lately I've been looking more at Soderbergh. He holds the camera himself. And for every Contagion or Ocean's Eleven that have famous people in them, he does three or four small films with unknowns. There is a certain charm to a new face. You see the character, not the actor. Some great actors manage to maintain this effect throughout their careers, like Viggo Mortensen. Every time I see him, he's someone different. The actors I'm using have a lot of charm, and the camera lingers on their faces long enough that you see them in private moments and when they are at their worst. I tend to think that you really learn who a person is when you see them in a crisis. How they respond, how they react, that's what movies are. It's the most important events in a person's life. And when you see it on a new face, you don't see the actor, you see the person, in the scenario. That's the idea, anyway.

I'm so glad that new people will see our actors do their thing. I'm very proud of the talent I have to work with, and I'm so happy to see them on screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment